From: Brian O'Connell [mailto:boconn...@t-yuden.com]
Sent: 07 June 2004 18:02
To: Gary McInturff; EMC-PSTC (E-mail)
Subject: RE: Fragility levels for components.

http://www.ieee-pses.org/symposium http://www.emc2004.org/

Based on HALT and HASS that I've performed, component "fragility" is dependent
on its end-use environment (i.e., mechanical characteristics of how the
component is installed on the PCB). I suppose that max shock & vibration
recommended by the mfr could be used as starting point. But you will never
know until you have empirical data, based on the end-use installation.

I have seen identical components, that were both mounted on similar-sized
PCBs, fail at significantly different g-levels. Adjacent components, PCB
material, adjacent trace properties, and other factors can effect the
mechanical performance of discretes and ICs.

luck,
Brian