From: owner-emc-p...@listserv.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-emc-p...@listserv.ieee.org]On Behalf Of POWELL, DOUG
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 10:24 AM
To: Rich Nute; Ralph McDiarmid
Cc: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: RE: solid insulation vs coating

Rich,

Take a look at IEC 60664-3: 2003-02 "Insulation coordination for
equipment with in low-voltage systems - Part 3: Use of coating, potting
or moulding for protection against pollution."

This standard covers the topic very well and is referenced by IEC
61010-1: 2nd Ed. 2001-02.  I expect (or hope) more of the modern
revisions to other safety standards will begin to reference this
document as well.

You will find that there are two types of coatings recognized by IEC
60664-3.  One type simply provides pollution degree reduction and the
other is considered solid insulation.  The type that is solid insulation
has a rigorous set of tests it must pass.  So far, in my company, we
have not achieved the second type because it is very difficult to
provide a quality control check that assures proper application of the
coating.  Also, repair of PWBs becomes an issue.

-doug