Dear Group,

We're working on a next Rev of board on our system and we're having a problem
with a 66MHz oscillator during radiated emissions testing. The board slides
vertically into a shelf(aka the card cage). The solder side of the board is
approx 1/4" from a plated steel vertical which is one of the shelf ends. Our
problem is that when the card is inserted in slot 1 a harmonic of the 66MHz is
leaving the card cage from the small gap between card and the shelf end.
Covering the small gap with CU tape cures the emission problem. Various
experiments with foil and CU tape have established that shielding the solder
side directly underneath the oscillator yields considerable improvement.

Moving the card away from the shelf end into higher slot numbers reduces
emissions considerably.

Before I rush off back to development, I wondered if anyone in the group had
any advice about implementing small areas of ground plane directly underneath
oscillators ? I'm going to request upper and lower ground planes with via
stitching between them and our internal groundplane. The oscillator is a 4pin
plastic packaged device. Is there anything else or experience that anyone else
in the group can pass on this subject.

Many thanks

Carl

Carl Richards,