From: Brian O'Connell [mailto:boconn...@t-yuden.com]
Sent: 30 November 2004 15:40
To: John Allen; - EMC PSTC Posts (E-mail)
Subject: RE: IEC/EN 61010-1, 2001 'Circuits derived from Mains Circuits'

Mr. Allen,

My "personal rule" is either the apparatus is ultimately connected to mains,
or it is not; and various NCBs has supported that analysis.

For an apparatus connected to mains, refer to Annex D to determine insulation
requirements. Also, see 3.5.5, 3.5.6, and 4.3.2.4.

Section 6.9 also indicates insulation types, according to the shock hazard.

For apparatus not connected to mains, you can determine the over-voltage that
it may be subject to, and may decide to use the formula in 6.7.3.2 .

As you know, 6.7.3.2 and Table 9 have errors.

IMO, IEC 61010-1 as a test standard for end-use apparatus, is more confusing
than most LVD standards. I suspect that many answers can only be found in the
standards listed in Annex ZA.

luck,
Brian