Tom

As I see it:

The term "approximation" is used in respect of the process of the alignment of
the member countries' national legislations with a specific Directive, as the
Commission and Parliament do not generally like to dictate exactly how the
former shall be worded (although I believe that they can if they issue a
"Regulation" rather than a "Directive")- and most EU countries would object
very strongly indeed if they tried to do so unneccessarily!.

Since none (or at least, very few) of the national legislative texts - or even
their legal systems - are identical to each other or to the Directives, then
the term "approximation" is appropriate since the same end-goal is achieved by
legislation worded in a variety of ways.

However, the concept of standards is generally that they shall be "standard"
in both the end-goals AND the wording to avoid possible differences in
interpretation. Therefore since most people would not want to refer to these
as "standardized standards", then "harmonization" (signifying everyone in
harmony) seems as good an alternative term as any other - particularly when
its use is restricted to those listed in the OJ as means of demonstrating
compliance to New Approach Directives.

Any help to you?

John Allen,
Technical Consultant
EMC and Safety Engineering
ERA Technology Ltd.
Cleeve Road
Leatherhead
Surrey KT22 7SA
UK

Tel: +44-1372-367025 (Direct)
       +44-1372-367000 (Switchboard)
Fax: +44-1372-367102

Please take a minute to visit my recently updated (Sept 04)  web pages at
http://www.era.co.uk/services/rcm.asp
and the main ERA Website at http://www.era.co.uk