Greetings group members,
We have a product group that integrates a 2.4 GHz PCMCIA WLAN card that has
been tested and approved for use in many countries.

On the back of this WLAN card there is a label that has CE / US / Canada /
C-tick Mark and several other marks.
If the device ends up shipping to a country with approvals not identified on
the main label then there is a space for a country stamp to be placed on the
label for the appropriate country.  The end user is responsible for placing
the correct country label for authorization in their country.

This seems to be a valid approach - they just ship a sheet of stamps with the
PCMCIA card and the user selects the appropriate one and places it on.

However, in our product, the card is installed during manufacturing and it
would require disassembly to view the label, let alone apply the appropriate
country stamp. Since it is not known which country the product will be shipped
to, it is impossible to apply the stamp during manufacturing.

The WLAN card label is not viewable by the user, period.

The questions that I have are:

1) What are the requirements for labeling our product [EU primarily]? Do we
reproduce the label from the WLAN card and attach to the outside of our
product? Don't really have real estate for that.

The FCC equivalent would be "Contains FCC ID: XXXXXXXXX".

2) Would attaching to the packaging be sufficient [our real estate is limited
as well]? The end-user could then attach the appropriate stamp.

3) If just talking CE countries, could we just put the CE mark / NB# / alert
mark once we make sure that the transmitter spurious emissions  comply in the
product per EN 300 328?

I imagine someone out there in either the Bluetooth or 802.11 world has been
through this before with modular radios that have been previously approved.

Best Regards,

Mac Elliott

Tyco Safety Products / Sensormatic
6600 Congress Avenue
Boca Raton, FL 33487

(561)-912-6462
melli...@tycoint.com

is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc discussion list.

Instructions: http://listserv.ieee.org/listserv/request/user-guide.html

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas emcp...@ptcnh.net Mike Cantwell mcantw...@ieee.org

For policy questions, send mail to: