Hans,

All countries mentioned accept a double-insulated (Class II) or earthed (Class
I) products. No distinction is made between SOHO and Enterprise. This
distinction may be the demand of a customer in the destination country.

To meet Nordic requirements for Class I, additional marking/labeling may be
required as per the national deviations in the various standards (IEC60335-1,
IEC60950-1, IEC60601-1, etc.).
However, many end-product designers require from their power supply vendors to
design the Class I earthed power supplies so that there is double or
reinforced (in lieu of basic) insulation between the primary parts and earthed
parts. Their rationale is that if the earth failed in the countries where
earth cannot be relied upon, then at least the power supply is designed to
meet double insulation requirements as well.

Regarding your last question:

"How about a brick powered router that is metal enclosed and being fed by a
double insulated adapter? Is grounding necessary for the mere fact that it is
connected to a telco or cable (if a cable modem)?"

If you have designed your telecom to SELV properly and you do not rely on
earthing from the power supply, then yes, you do not need an earthed power
supply.

Best Regards,

Peter Merguerian

Hans <htm...@yahoo.com> wrote:

I have an additional question regarding when to use a
2-pin or a 3-pin AC cord to the adapter or device.

Specifically, When are 3-pin required and when are
2-pin required?

My assumptions were up to now that for Enterprize
class products, a 3-wire cord is always required
whether it feeds a rack mount unit or a desktop unit.
Are there any country exceptions to that?

For SOHO units, it is my understanding that either a
2-wire or 3-wire is ok except where the product
clasification warrants a 3-wire. Examples of that are
PC's, home DSL routers etc.

Are there any countries that force the usage of 2-pin
cords for SOHO products? How about Finland where they
rely on non-grounding for safety at the home?

How about a brick powered router that is metal
enclosed and being fed by a double insulated adapter?
is grounding necessary for the mere fact that it is
connected to a telco or cable (if a cable modem)?

Thanks in advance
Hans Mellberg

--- peter merguerian
wrote:

> Bob Foster
>
> The following countries have regulations in place:
>
> India (safety)
> Israel (safety, emc)
> Saudi Arabia (safety, emc)
> South Africa (safety, emc)
> Australia (safety, emc)
> Mexico (safety)
> Argentina (safety)
> Taiwan (safety, emc)
> Korea (safety, emc)
> China (safety, emc)
> Japan (safety, emc)
> Russia (safety, emc)
> Singapore (safety)
> Ukraine (safety, emc)
>
> You can contact me off-line if you need help in
> getting the above certifications.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Peter Merguerian
>

> Bob Foster wrote:
> Colleagues.....
> > There was some recent discussions regarding power
> cubes. I have developed a new question.
>
> Does anyone know of a Web site that lists individual
> country requirements for power adapters (power
> adapter is a device that takes line voltage and
> converts down to a lower DC level), some may call it
> a power brick? As an example, Korea requires all
> power adapters to have the "EK" mark. Some countries
> have specific safety and marking requirements but
> others do not. It would be nice to have such a
> matrix.
>
> I am specifically interested in the Asia/Pacific and
> Latin/South America country requirements for power
> adapters.
>
> Thanks for any guidance,
>
> Bob Foster
> Compliance Engineer
> SpectraLink Corp
> 5755 Central Avenue
> Boulder, CO 80301
> Phone: 303-583-5524
> FAX: 303-443-1746
> bfos...@spectralink.com

Best Regards

Hans Mellberg
San Jose, CA 95128, USA

http://mail.yahoo.com - 2005 IEEE Symposium on Product Safety Engineering 3-4
October Schaumburg, IL http://www.ieee-pses.org/symposium

is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc discussion list.

Instructions: http://listserv.ieee.org/listserv/request/user-guide.html

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas emcp...@ptcnh.net Mike Cantwell mcantw...@ieee.org

For policy questions, send mail to: