Jim Eichner <jim.eich...@xantrex.com> wrote (in
<2147f6d97127f6428e40ff35ea522b970448e...@xbc-mail1.xantrex.com>) about
'WEEE and RoHS consultants', on Tue, 27 Sep 2005:
>I am entertaining the idea of bringing in someone to work with us on
>these Directives on a short-term consulting basis.  If any of you know
>someone who fits the bill, or is that person, please contact me.

I think you will not find anyone who meets all your criteria, for the
reasons given below. And if you do find someone, you will need to keep
them for at least a year, until the situation stabilizes and practical
procedures are worked out.

>The ideal candidate would...
>
>- already know details of the legislation issued by each country in
>response to these Directives

Many have not issued any, others have issued documents so vague that
they are practically useless. The situation is changing rapidly, and
keeping up with what is happening in 30 countries (EU + EFTA +
associated states) is virtually impossible.

I don't think one person can do this, which is why we have companies
offering costly services in this area. The whole thing is a fiasco, even
by the pitiful standards of the EU.

> - be familiar with the recycling and recovery services available in
>the various countries

Again, in many countries they don't yet exist.

>- have detailed knowledge of the technical issues involved in design
>for RoHS including lead-free process and component issues, what sorts
>of parts/components/materials typically contain the banned substances,
>what the pros and cons are of the substitute materials available, etc.

That might be possible, but yet again, it's a rapidly developing subject
and it's very difficult indeed to keep in touch with all the
developments.

>- be able to suggest efficient means of determining and documenting
>compliance, that are tailored to our situation and business practices

This depends on how the Directives, especially the WEED, will be
implemented in the national legislations of the various countries. It
appears that there will be very significant differences. At a small
scale the playing field will be far from level, in the case of the
WEEED.
Deadlines are 90% of deadliness.

   2005 IEEE Symposium on Product Safety Engineering
             3-4 October   Schaumburg, IL
          http://www.ieee-pses.org/symposium

Instructions:  http://listserv.ieee.org/listserv/request/user-guide.html

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html