Duncan,

My opinion is that you have to comply with the maximum 55 C metallic
requirements unless the combination metal and polymeric coating is evaluated
for adhesion properties.How can one be assured that the polymeric coating is
not going to diminish after some time?

Peter Merguerian

Duncan Hobbs <duncan_ho...@xyratex.com> wrote:

Group,

UL61010B-1 and EN61010-1 define upper temperature limits for parts of
the equipment, specifically handles have a maximum limit of 55C if they
are metalic or 70C if they are non metalic. The standard also permits
handles that are non metalic and held only for short periods to a
maximum temperature of 80C

The question I have is what of the situation where you have a metalic
part that has a non metalic finish? Obviously normal paint could not be
used to give a non metalic surface due to its thin nature as it would do
little to change the thermal conductivity of the surface, but what of
the situation where a surface is powder coated or dip coated with a
plastic/rubber finish? FYI the particular part in question is only held
for short period of time in normal use. The surface finish also feels
warm to the touch indicating to me! that it has poor thermal conduction
(metal always feels cold as is conducts the heat away from your hand)

Does anyone have any opinions or can point me to some sources that may
give guidance on this?

Many thanks in advance,

Duncan Hobbs, Senior Compliance Engineer
Product Compliance Laboratory
Xyratex Technology Ltd.
Havant,
Hampshire,
U.K.
PO9 1SA
tel: 02392 496444
fax: 02392 496014
duncan_ho...@xyratex.com

-
2005 IEEE Symposium on Product Safety Engineering
3-4 October Schaumburg, IL
http://www.ieee-pses.org/symposium

emc-pstc discussion list. Website: http://www.ieee-pses.org/

Instructions: http://listserv.ieee.org/listserv/request/user-guide.html

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas emcp...@ptcnh.net
Mike Cantwell mcantw...@ieee.org

For policy questions, send mail to:

Richard Nute: ri...@ieee.org
Jim Bacher: j.bac...@ieee.org

  _____

Yahoo! for Good
Click here to donate <http://store.yahoo.com/redcross-donate3/>  to the
Hurricane Katrina relief effort. - 2005 IEEE Symposium on Product Safety
Engineering 3-4 October Schaumburg, IL http://www.ieee-pses.org/symposium

is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc discussion list.

Instructions: http://listserv.ieee.org/listserv/request/user-guide.html

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html