In message <20060116092257.a6...@pentax.boerde.de>, dated Mon, 16 Jan
2006, Matthias Weingart <i...@pentax.boerde.de> writes

>As far as I know, there are lead free products on the market since some
>years (far east); they do not seem to have problems with the tin pest.
>Why? Warm climate?

Very likely. But we also have experience that regulations are introduced
without taking into account all the consequences. We are seeing
significant reliability problems with products using lead-free solder
already. As a result, more and more classes of product are being
exempted from the lead-free requirements of RoHS. It is IMPORTANT for
manufacturers to keep aware of these changes before they introduce
lead-free solder to their plant.

>Using Sb in the tin?

We haven't seen any indication of that.

>Or is the tin pest just a theoretical problem?

No, it certainly isn't. But, as I said in a previous post, it MAY not
happen for some years, and then suddenly it does happen.

>(Do you wonder why they bundled electronic recycling and lead free
>together? It seems they expect short lifetime of electronics.)

Not 'expect'; experience. Most office ITE is already scrapped after
three years service. On the other hand, consumer electronics (TV sets)
are kept typically for 10 years.
2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immoderately.

John Woodgate

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

     Scott Douglas           emcp...@ptcnh.net
     Mike Cantwell           mcantw...@ieee.org