Working on a project to certify a flat-panel monitor with touchscreen for use
in a purged enclosure.  This requires electrical protection of the touchscreen
data cable from the touchscreen to an intrinsitically safe barrier.  UL
requires that the cable either remains 4 inches away from any and all sources
of electrical energy, or be effectively protected from those sources.  We
cannot isolate the cable from several sources of electrical energy inside the
monitor, so we must shield the cable with a flexible grounded shield.  I would
appreciate any ideas anyone might have to accomplish this shielding.  We have
approached UL with using the braided tubing manufactured by Laird, but it was
not acceptable due to the holes in the braid are too large and the current
handling was believed to be too little.  Tapes are not considered acceptable
either, because they are too easy to compromise and can leave gaps for high
voltage to jump through.  Thanks for any ideas.

John Cochran

message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc
discussion list. Website: http://www.ieee-pses.org/

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas emcp...@ptcnh.net Mike Cantwell mcantw...@ieee.org

For policy questions, send mail to: