From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Brian
O'Connell
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 11:15 AM
To: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: RE: Hipot testing following fault testing

Which is one of several reasons why I discourage marketing folks from
allowing a customer to specify 1010-1 for our units. Note the third
conditional in this UL/EN60950-1 clause:

5.3.8.2 After the tests
After the tests of 5.3.4 c), 5.3.5, 5.3.6, 5.3.7 and clause C.1, an
electric strength test according to 5.2.2 is made on:
- REINFORCED INSULATION; and
- BASIC INSULATION or SUPPLEMENTARY INSULATION forming part of DOUBLE
INSULATION; and
- BASIC INSULATION between the PRIMARY CIRCUIT and the protective
earthing terminal; if any of the following applies:
- the CLEARANCE or CREEPAGE DISTANCE has been reduced below the value
specified in 2.10; or
- the insulation shows visible signs of damage; or
- the insulation cannot be inspected.

luck,
Brian

Eichner  > Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 9:55 AM  > To:
emc-p...@ieee.org  > Subject: FW: Hipot testing following fault testing
>  >  > Thanks Ralph - good catch.
 >
 > So it appears the committee I'm on has come up with an idea  > that
is not  > unique and has precedent in 61010-1.  For those interested in
this  > thread, here's how that standard words the requirement
(4.4.4.1(b)):

 > 4.4.4 Conformity after application of fault conditions  >  > 4.4.4.1
Conformity with requirements for protection against electric  > shock is
checked after the application of single faults as follows:
 > a) by making the measurements of 6.3.2 to check that no ACCESSIBLE  >
conductive parts have become HAZARDOUS LIVE;  > b) by performing a
voltage test on DOUBLE INSULATION or REINFORCED  > INSULATION to check
that there is still one level of protection by  > insulation. The
voltage test is made as specified in 6.8 (without  > conformity
preconditioning) with the test voltage for BASIC  > INSULATION.
 > c) by measuring the temperature of transformer windings if the  >
protection against electrical HAZARDS is achieved by DOUBLE  >
INSULATION  > or REINFORCED INSULATION within the transformer. The
temperatures of  > table 16 shall not be exceeded.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

     Scott Douglas           emcp...@ptcnh.net
     Mike Cantwell           mcantw...@ieee.org

     David Heald:            emc-p...@daveheald.com