Mike,

It is my understanding that it is purely the responsibility of the owner
of the measuring instrument to decide on the calibration period. The
calibration laboratory has a financial interest in 'encouraging' its
customers to calibrate frequently, but only the customer knows the use to
which the instrument is put, and the calibration history. For instance, it
may be quite reasonable for gauge blocks, used infrequently to internally
calibrate vernier calipers, to be sent out to an external lab for
calibration once every five years. On the other hand, the appropriate
calibration interval for a vernier caliper in constant use on the
production line may be one month or less, especially if the result of
out-of-calibration measurements could be a product recall.

Ultimately the manufacturer must take responsibility. If you think about
it, I don't think that a calibration laboratory's insurers would want them
to take responsibility for specifying calibration periods which may be
inappropriate for the actual use to which the measuring device is put.

Jon Griver
http://www.601help.com
The Medical Device Designers' Guide to IEC 60601-1