> Please tell us about the 'not clearly defined' issue. It isn't safe to
> say 'yes, use IEC 60664' without knowing the circumstances.

Well, the question was both specific & generic, if that makes any sense.  And
I did know that whatever a final product standard calls out will supersede
what is in the reference standards.

In the specific case, I'm currently looking at a couple of standards in the
IEC 60044 series.  Both standards specifically say they are assuming a maximum
altitude of 1 000 meters, but both also have a clause saying "For installation
at an altitude higher than 1 000 m, the arcing distance under the standardized
reference atmospheric conditions shall be determined by multiplying the
withstand voltages required at the service location by a factor k in
accordance with figure 1.  NOTE As for the internal insulation, the dielectric
stren! gth is not affected by altitude. The method for checking the external
insulation shall be agreed between manufacturer and purchaser."

The product specs we (my colleagues & I) are looking at call out rated
altitudes of 2 000 or 3 000 meters for different products, and the correction
factors in the IEC 60044 standards do go that high, so we are covered by the
end-product standard, I think.

However, while some of us were sitting around discussing this standard,
someone else mentioned that 60950 had only specified ratings & test conditions
for up to 2 000 m**, and he had always wondered what was going on with power
supply manufacturers who claimed their power supplies complied with 60950 &
were good up to 3 000 m.

So I thought I would ask the question about use of 60664 in a general sense as
well.

! **Note: I am not familiar with 60950 myself and do not have a copy readily
available where I can check this assertion, so hopefully the list members will
not be too strident in their corrections if this statement turns out to be in
error.  :)

Many thanks for the assistance,
-Camille Good
Portland, Oregon

John Woodgate <j...@jmwa.demon.co.uk> wrote:

In message <20060308214055.94838.qm...@web31011.mail.mud.yahoo.com>,
dated Wed, 8 Mar 2006, Camille Good writes
>1) My understanding of the interrelation between different IEC
>standards is that IEC 60664-1, Insulation coordination for equipment
>within low-voltage systems, is considered to be a basic standard for
>creepage &! amp; clearance requirements, and while some end-product standards
>(like 61010 & 60950) might have insulation requirements specific to the
>end-product environment or application, IEC 60664 is the beginning
>point for the insulation, creepage & clearance requirements. Is that
>understanding correct, or am I missing something?

Yes.

>2) If I am looking at an IEC end-product standard, and there is an
>insulation issue that is not clearly defined, is it acceptable to look
>at the IEC 60664 series for guidance?

Please tell us about the 'not clearly defined' issue. It isn't safe to
say 'yes, use IEC 60664' without knowing the circumstances.
2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immoderately.

John Woodgate

-

This message is ! from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society
emc-pstc discussion list. Website: http://www.ieee-pses.org/

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas emcp...@ptcnh.net
Mike Cantwell mcantw...@ieee.org