From: Joe  <mailto:j...@randolph-telecom.com> Randolph
To: Piotr Galka <mailto:piotr.ga...@micromade.pl>  ; EMC-PSTC
<mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org>
Sent: Monday, September 11, 2006 10:18 PM
Subject: Re: EN 60950-1 RS485 and TNV-1

On 9/11/2006, Piotr Galka wrote:

If I connect two devices located in the same building by RS485 I understand
they both are SELV.

But what if I connect devices located in separate buildings ?

Hi Piotr:

This topic was discussed recently on this board.  I believe that the exemption
for "SELV circuits connecting units of information technology equipment" was
inserted in 1.2.13.8 to cover the type of situation that you describe.

Unfortunately, it becomes a matter of judgement as to whether such a cable
might be subject to lightning transients.  If the cable run is very short and
is run underground, you could probably argue that it is not subject to
lightning transients and it can be classified as SELV.  However, if the cable
run may be long and/or it may be strung above ground, it is probably wise to
classify it as TNV-1.  The final decision about how to classify the cable will
rest with you and your safety test agency.

Joe Randolph
Telecom Design Consultant
Randolph Telecom, Inc.
781-721-2848 (USA)
j...@randolph-telecom.com
http://www.randolph-telecom.com <http://www.randolph-telecom.com/>

message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc
discussion list. Website: http://www.ieee-pses.org/

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas emcp...@ptcnh.net Mike Cantwell mcantw...@ieee.org

For policy questions, send mail to: