All,

Can I use 3.5mm terminal blocks in device under EN 60950-1 ?

Device is powered by 12V DC LPS source.
For connecting external signals (5V OC 2mA) cables with 0.5mm diameter wires
(0.2mm2) are used.
Each conductor is single wire so I understand these are not flexible cords.

3.5mm terminal blocks accept 0.14mm2 to 0.75mm2, but  EN 60950-1 3.3.4 needs
for other cables (as not flexible cords than other) terminals accepting up to
2.5mm2.
It looks that it is for all connections because:
3  Wiring, connections and supply
3.3 Wiring terminals for connection of external conductors
3.3.4 Conductor sizes to be connected.

I also worry if standard 3.5mm terminal blocks agree with EN 60950-1 3.3.6:
"Terminals shall be so designed or located that the conductor cannot slip out
when the clamping screws or nuts are tightened."

Do 5V 2mA signal lines really need so much care or I missed something.

Thanks in advance.

Piotr Gałka

message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc
discussion list. Website: http://www.ieee-pses.org/

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas emcp...@ptcnh.net Mike Cantwell mcantw...@ieee.org

For policy questions, send mail to: