I agree with your conclusion.

Ralph McDiarmid, AScT
Compliance Engineering Group
Xantrex Technology Inc.

From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Powell, Doug
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 11:31 AM
To: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: Regulatory Compliance stifles innovation?

All,

I've heard it said that Regulatory Compliance stifles innovation and sometimes
even makes it impossible to do the things we want.  The constraints that are
imposed for Safety and EMC seem prevent our highly talented engineering/design
community from doing what they need to achieve leading-edge high-technology
designs.

R&D is how companies innovate.  As an idea or a need is perceived the Research
piece begins: conceptualization, feasibility studies, and so on.  Once a new
concept accepted, the Design piece of the equation begins.  Sometimes, in
these days of concurrent engineering, it is difficult to clearly distinguish
the R and D pieces, nevertheless both exist.

A critical part of Design process is to identify all the parameters which tend
limit the practical application of any concept.  We are familiar with these
limits in the form of thermal performance, insulation value, mechanical
strength, timing, and others.  Constantly there is tendency a push these
limits and sometimes a search for new materials is launched.  But there are
always absolute limits to any material chosen and we must live within these
constraints.  I submit that like the other physical limits we have, Safety and
EMC are simply additional limitations that must be observed at the beginning
of the design and not the end.

My conclusion is that the idea that regulatory compliance stifles innovation
is false.  I would like to submit that for a savvy company, Regulatory
Compliance actually demands a still more innovative scientist/engineer and
therefore "Regulatory Compliance drives innovation to higher levels!"

Any thoughts?

Regards,

-doug

Douglas E. Powell