Dredging thru the archives of my memory, I recall the 50 um of gold as a
minimum requirement for the RJ - Registered Jack spec from the old Bell labs
for reliability.  It might now be enshined in an IPC spec, or still just a
telecom detail.  And there might be some updated info, since those memory bits
are quite old.  I'll guess your socket gets more use than the estimated use
for phone jacks.

David Cuthbert <dcuthb...@linear.com> wrote:

We’re running into life issues on load boards where the Johnstech socket
wears through a layer of 50 um hard electroplated gold. Does anyone have
experience with Rhodium electroplating as a long life replacement for gold?

The gold is specified for a hardness of 160-200 Knoop and Rhodium is 900-1000
Knoop.

       Dave Cuthbert
       Senior Test Engineer
       NARTE Certified EMC Engineer

***LINEAR TECHNOLOGY CORPORATION***
***Internet Email Confidentiality Footer***
This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages
attached to it may contain confidential information that is legally
privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any of the information contained
in or attached to this transmission is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have
received this transmission in error, please immediately notify me by reply
e-mail, or by telephone at (719) 593-1579 and destroy the original
transmission and its attachments without reading or saving in any manner.
Thank you.

message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc
discussion list. Website: http://www.ieee-pses.org/
List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html
Scott Douglas emcp...@ptcnh.net Mike Cantwell mcantw...@ieee.org
For policy questions, send mail to: