Anybody remember Token Ring ?
The pin assignments, the split 3 & 6 pins, is so the same cable and connectors
can be used with both ethernet and token ring.  The RJ connectors were picked
because they were readily available in large quantities, and the Bell
definition made them quite reliable for multiple insertions.

Doug Smith <d...@emcesd.com> wrote:

Hi Doug and the Group,

I believe the RJ-45 pin assignment had more do to with preventing an
Ethernet interface from being damaged if plugged into a digital phone
interface and possibly other interfaces. At that point in time,
Ethernet was pretty slow and the strange pinout was not as much a
issue as it is now.

When I was working with the UTP (unshielded twisted pair) folks at
Bell Labs (about 25% of my work for several years, I was shared
between many projects as sort of an internal consultant) we proved
time and again that UTP works as well and often better than STP
(shielded twisted pair) for both operational performance and EMC
issues. The presence of the shield in STP caused EMC problems because
it was generally not properly connected in many designs and makes a
great fat wire antenna and way to get noise into the system especially
for PC interfaces.

Bell Labs was a great place to work in the past. We had technology 10
to 20 years and more ago that I am just beginning to see in my
client's equipment. In 1994 we demonstrated something very close to
Gigabit Ethernet. I still have a four inch section of the 100 meter
cable the demonstration was done over, embedded in plastic as a momento.

An interesting observation: In one experiment I did, I measured the
differential voltage on one of the pairs of a Cat5 cable that was
being fed EFT in common mode using the Capacitive Clamp using one of
my balanced coaxial probes ( http://emcesd.com/pdf/cd94scr.pdf - 3.5
MB pdf file) and noticed an effect that would affect EMC testing. When
a Cat5 cable was bent sharply the balance got noticeably worst. When
straightened out most but not all of the balance returned. The
conclusion is that gently handled new Cat5 cables should be used for
an EMC test. After that give them to the IT people and use new cables
for the next test.

By the way, the twist "wavelength" in a Cat5 cable of the pairs is
different for different pairs to reduce crosstalk by making sure
individual wires were not always next to each other during the same
part of the twist going down the cable.

Doug

--

___ _ Doug Smith