Folks,

I recall that a few years ago The Netherlands reported (to the LVD Working
Party) problems with at least overheating in mobile 'phones: I don't recall if
there were problems with fires as well.

The problem was found to stem from replacement batteries, not those from the
original manufacturer.  However, at least in some cases, the problem battery
was a counterfeit copy and therefore had the appearance of a manufacturer’s
original part to the untrained eye.  I seem to recall a suggestion that the
manufacturer’s original battery packs had internal current limiting components
whereas the problem batteriy packs didn’t, though I cannot say whether this was
the case or not.

As a result of discussions in the EU body responsible for overseeing the R&TTED
(TCAM), the Commission issued a Mandate to CEN/CENELEC and ETSI to report on
the matter and update standards as appropriate.  I do not know the progress or
outcome of that review.

Of course, since then we have had problems with laptop batteries having
internal shorts and catching on fire.  No amount of external protection
circuitry would protect the user if this were the failure mechanism.

Since we do not know the ‘phone type, the battery type, and whether it was OEM
or counterfeited - let alone the failure mechanism - all our discussions are
but interesting conjecture. Still, it is yet another example of the need to
consider Murphy’s law when designing for safety!

Regards,

Richard Hughes