From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of John
Woodgate
Sent: Friday, February 16, 2007 5:30 PM
To: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: Re: CE marking simple resistive device

              *** WARNING ***

This mail has originated outside your organization, either from an
external partner or the Global Internet.

In message <03ed01c751df$ed86a690$580fa...@nceelabs.org>, dated Fri, 16
Feb 2007, Doug Kramer <dkra...@nceelabs.com> writes:

>The device is obviously part of a social alarm system, for which there
>are requirements (50130-x).  I suggested that they take a similar
>approach as a PC peripheral maker by demonstrating that the resistive
>device does not cause a typical, compliant product, to be
>non-compliant.  Is that reasoning sound?

It's passive, so it doesn't emit, and I hardly think it could lack
immunity, so it's 'EMC benign' and is exempt from the Directive (see
'Whereas (9)' in the new Directive.

>The latest twist in the tail is that the devices are to be marketed to
>long term elder care facilities.  Does this fall under the MDD?  And if

>so, what is the road to compliance for such a device?

I feel sure that's taking the MDD a lot too far.
There are benefits from being irrational - just ask the square root of
2.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

     Scott Douglas           emcp...@ptcnh.net
     Mike Cantwell           mcantw...@ieee.org