Many prop-job aircraft have reversible pitch ('beta' thrust) props can back
up; e.g. C130 Cessna Caravans, and many of the craft that use the venerable
PT6 engine.

I am not certain if 'reverse' thrust on jets can be used to back up.

Probably need to explain some aviation terms here. 'Beta' as a term for the
angle of the blades, was derived as a complement to 'alpha' which is the
term for angle of attack. And I am sure the members of this group have
already guessed that there are some serious flight safety implications; and
that this is not always a good thing, see
www.airdisaster.com/reports/ntsb/AAR94-06.pdf

luck,
Brian

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html