I think there are others on this forum who understand this better than I do;
in fact I learned this from someone else on this forum.  Ethernet can run a
long way, and if it connects two pieces of equipment whose enclosures are at
slightly different mains frequency potentials, due to their green wires
going to different grounds, that can cause current to flow through an
Ethernet shield grounded at both ends.  Hence the capacitive decoupling
which is a high impedance at the mains frequency.  This answer assumes that
your digital ground is tied to chassis ground, which I believe is typical.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html