The below may not be complete, and not even represent the
full EMC or LOW voltage directive "opinions", (and they
are different too). It's how I handle them everyday.

Do you need field testing so soon ?
If you want to answer that, you First must decide of
field testing is absolutely necessary with a product that
may not (or may) comply. Why should you want to expose
(future) customers with a product that may  include
hazards to them or the spectrum. EMC or Safety testing
may imply future functional restrictions, making the value
of field testing less valuable.

" Placed onto the market " is almost every
action where a piece of equipment is made available to
anyone else but the manufacturer. As John said
sell or give away.

"put into service" definitely means switching a product "on"
the first time (that is from the directive) within the EC territory.

Both statements refer to a PRODUCT.  It is the manufacturer that
defines if a product is a product or not.

A product is a defined entity that autonomously provides
a function to an end user.
This excludes unfinished equipment
but does not necessary exclude field samples.

Before a new design becomes
a product, it may of course temporarily be NO PRODUCT.
This is where design happens. This is where
compliance testing happens.
So John, don't worry, one  is allowed to
design a new product end switch it on!!
Until someone says : "it's a product now"  !!
We are gonna sell it ! let's go field testing !!

I do not believe in asking the authorities.
They will simply say no.
But for trade shows , but that's another subject.

Well John, products do cross  EC borders
without ce-mark every day. As a test house we do frequently
receive PRODUCTS from our USA and WW customers
without problems (or do you think that ce-test is
that famous that customs understand !! ??!!@)

Gert Gremmen
ce-test, qualified testing bv