Hello,

If anyone has a materials background, your opinion would be appreciated.

We are specifying hardware (screws, washers) to assemble anodized aluminum
modules to gold PCB pads. These connections will also be providing grounding
and I would like to ensure long-term corrosion control.

The stack-up would thus look like the pancake below and hence have two
Galvanic interfaces to address:

Aluminum

<screw, washer>

Gold

The only two real choices for this type of hardware are stainless steel and
CRS (cold-rolled steel) with zinc passivation. I see from Wikipedia that zinc
is a preferred interface material for dissimilar metals but I’m not quite
sure I understand why (sacrificial anode?). Stainless is closer to gold on the
galvanic scale while zinc is almost at the other end.

The only rule-of-thumb that I’ve used in the past is 0.5V maximum Galvanic
potential difference for non-salt humidity (and 0.25V if in a salt humidity
environment).

This situation should be fairly common with aluminum heat-sinks mounted on
PCBAs as well. I thought I knew the best strategy but, like most things, the
more one pokes around, the more you find out you don’t know.

Thanks,

Marko

Marko Radojicic

Manager, Qualifications and Regulatory

StrataLight Communications, Inc.

151 Albright Way

Los Gatos, CA 95032

mradoji...@stratalight.com

Desk: 408.385.3033

Cell: 650.575.3865

message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc
discussion list. Website: http://www.ieee-pses.org/

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas emcp...@ptcnh.net Mike Cantwell mcantw...@ieee.org

For policy questions, send mail to: