HI Wendy

Charles is absolutely correct - you need to be careful here.  Historically the
position of the FCC seems to have been that when they say a port is to have a
'load' they mean that the load is to representative of the device.  Not just
in impedance, but it is to also represent the electrical and mechanical
characteristics of the device.  This is also the intent of ANSI C63.4.
Consequently a simple resistive load would not be appropriate.

Also, realistically speaking, the only way to 'load' a port is to put a real
device on the port (i.e. a parallel port serial port and USB port device
etc.).  Please note that the ITE section of ANSI C63.4 states "When a PC is
the EUT and also the host, the minimum functional interface (I/O) ports that
shall be populated by attaching cables, which are terminated in a typical load
of actual usage, include serial, parallel, and USB, where such ports are
available."  Please note the 'load OF ACTUAL USAGE" statement.  The fortunate
thing is that you only need to 'load' one of each type port.  The other ports
of the same type can use a cable connected and 'terminated'.

Thanks

Dennis Ward

Director of Engineering

American TCB

Certification Resource for the Wireless Industry www.atcb.com

703-847-4700 fax 703-847-6888

direct - 703-880-4841

NOTICE: This E-Mail message and any attachment may contain privileged or
company proprietary information. If you received this message in error, please
return to the sender.