From: McInturff, Gary [mailto:gary.mcintu...@esterline.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2011 11:21 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: [PSES] Medical equipment versus ITE equipment used in medical
facilities

List members,

          I’ve been looking over the medical directive or at least summaries
of it, and EN60601-1 trying to determine what requirements would say that a
general purpose keyboard must be evaluated or identified as a medical device
or a part of a medical device.

          The keyboard is designed with bacterial contamination and cleaning
in mind. It is completely sealed – not just a cover added over an existing
keyboard – and resistant to typical clearers and chemicals use in hospitals.
But other than that it’s a standard qwerty keyboard with a USB connection to
a host. For data collection etc. Typical usage can be at a nurses station or
in a patient room as part of a patient records systems. But there is no
designed function to specifically help out with patient treatment systems like
cat scanners, infusion pumps et al.

          I suppose there is nothing to prevent one of these system with a USB
port to plug in the keyboard.

          Can someone point me in the direction of the relevant documents that
would describe when an ITE item used in a medical environment is required to
be evaluated as a medical device.

          Thanks

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at
http://product-compliance.oc.ieee.org/

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@radiusnorth.net>

Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>