Brian:

I use an isolated feedthrough only as necessary, that is, only if it improves
the noise floor and only across that frequency range where it might help.
Typically, I use my isolated feedthrough only in the 20 Hz through about 5 kHz
range.

I have a type BNC isolated, female/female bulkhead coax fitting (I think the
Pasternack number is PE9172, about $20) in my penetration panel just for this
use. As I get up higher in frequency, I switch over to traditional grounded
connectors. The small protrusion on each side of the penetration port does not
affect my overall shielding effectiveness when I am not using the isolated
feedthrough (but remember to disconnect both inner and outer coax cables when
not actually using that port).

You might also play with combinations of isolated AC analyzer power and
grounding of your analyzer system to achieve lower noise floors.

Ed Price

ed.pr...@cubic.com <blocked::mailto:ed.pr...@cubic.com>      WB6WSN

NARTE Certified EMC Engineer

Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab

Cubic Defense Applications

San Diego, CA  USA

858-505-2780

Military & Avionics EMC Is Our Specialty

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at
http://product-compliance.oc.ieee.org/

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@radiusnorth.net>

Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>