From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Jim Bacher
Sent: Monday, July 11, 2011 8:10 PM
To: ri...@ieee.org; emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: Re: Puzzle: Radiation from a disconnected TV antenna?

Rich, there is at least one preamp that was recalled due to defects in
manufacturing. The preamp would not only function as a preamp, it would
reradiate RF at other frequencies. What happened was the input fet or
transistor would oscillate due to poor placement of the active part. Dependent
on temperature the frequency of the oscillation will shift during the day. The
oscillation would mix with all the incoming signals the antenna was picking up
thereby creating new "signals". So the issue would move up and down the
frequencies. As it was tied to an antenna if was a very effect interference
source. The only way to chase it is with spectrum analyzers or communication
analyzers as it moved too fast to chase with programmable radios. The FCC has
mandated recalls on at least one preamp. One of them was used in campers,
which made finding them more difficult as they were moving some of the time.

It some of the connections on the antenna are corroded, it can function as a
diode mixer and reradiate. As it is an antenna it is effective at radiating
what it is mixing. Although cleaning and resetting the elements likely would
clear the issue, and as you have had a visit by the FAA, I would replace the
antennas to show good faith in trying to resolve the issue.

The coax can be a resonant circuit as well. Being open at one end it will
reflect the signals back to the antenna to be reradiated.

Jim