From:   <ton...@europe.com>
To:     <EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
Date:   05/03/2011 09:04 AM
Subject:        R&TTE Notified Body Opinion Cheaper than Full Testing?
Sent by:        <emc-p...@ieee.org>

________________________________

Hi,

I design bespoke vehicle/personnel tracking and machine-machine communications
systems for clients using GPS and GSM/cellular technologies, sometimes RF
wireless (e.g. 433 & 2400 MHz unlicensed), mostly embedding GPS/GSM/wireless
modules within custom electronics. These are normally manufactured in a few
10’s at most.

We self-declare to the R&TTE Directive by testing to the relevant harmonised
standards – this is phenomenally expensive for the volumes we produce.

Alternatively, I suspect it would be considerably (very considerably) cheaper
to supply a Technical File, including very limited testing results, design
data and technical rationales to a R&TTE Notified Body to confirm compliance
with the R&TTED. We naturally produce most of this information anyway as part
of the development. The NB certificate would satisfy us, regulatory
authorities and clients.

Does anybody have experience of using this alternative approach – is it a
viable and cheaper alternative.

Feel free to reply off-line if you wish.

Thanks in advance for your views,
Tony

<emc-p...@ieee.org <mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org> >

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at
http://product-compliance.oc.ieee.org/
http://product-compliance.oc.ieee.org/>

Website: http://www.ieee-pses.org/ <http://www.ieee-pses.org/>
<http://listserv.ieee.org/request/user-guide.html>