Hi Brian:

Hmm.  I wonder if UL knows what UL knows.  Mr. Flore
Chiang of UL's Taiwan office has given several papers
at the PSES Symposia on the physics of clearance,
creepage, and solid insulation breakdown.

These are classic papers and should be studied by all
product safety professionals.  Mr. Chiang has presented
his papers to the IEC TC108 committee so that the
committee can prepare insulation requirements that are
in concert with the physics of electrically-caused
breakdown.

Without doing anything to improve my memory, I believe
d.c. is easier on all of the insulations than is a.c.
Mr. Chiang's papers discuss the differences and why.

Richard Nute
Product Safety Consultant
Vancouver, Washington, U.S.A.

http://product-compliance.oc.ieee.org/