An interesting discussion. I'd like to inject a few
points:

Prior to the discovery of petroleum oil the main
source of oil for lamps was the rendered
blubber of sperm whales.

Pollution from coal-fired locomotives destroyed
streams next to railroads. This was the public
transportation of the day.

Pollution from horses was a huge problem and
health hazard in cities.

Each generation has it's challenges. Every time
I hear someone say they would like to eliminate
the use of oil I want to remind them that
gasoline is just one of many products derived
>from a cracking tower. Most people would be
shocked to know how many vital items are
produced from oil.

Many "alternative energy solutions" bring their
own new problems. Using corn to make ethanol
for fuel is causing food supply and price issues.
Windmills are noisy, and expensive to build and
maintain. Electric and hybrid vehicles have
issues related to the batteries and controls.
Firefighters and other emergency workers are
concerned about safety in accidents. The
average mechanic is forbidden to work on them
and the ones who have been specially qualified
are in great demand.

Ken Javor has stated the real problem
correctly. The Overlords want more control of
the kind they had at the dawn of the industrial
age and will try to get it through engineered
crisis'. Many years ago I wrote an opinion piece
(never published) on this subject titled
"Gunpowder and Gasoline, Portable Power to
the People". My opinion has not changed.

Besides, as a motorcycle owner in the
Northeast, Global Warming = more riding days.

Scott B. Lacey

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

     Scott Douglas           emcp...@ptcnh.net
     Mike Cantwell           mcantw...@ieee.org