Greetings fellow IEEE PS forum members. I am a Grad student writing an ethics
paper on the Therac-25 radiation machine.

http://www.computingcases.org/case_materials/therac/therac_case_intro.html
<http://www.computingcases.org/case_materials/therac/therac_case_intro.html>

My paper is focusing on the ethical situation from the manufacturer's point of
view and hypothetically what they should or could have done differently to
solve the issue if I was their "consultant."

Primarily I am interested in the ISO/IEC or international safety standards for
software programming of industrial equipment or medical devices. Not
necessarily to reference them but to understand the scope and to realize what
the manufacturer needed/needs to do. This would also hypothetically be
presented to the business management team that "contracted" me.

I am a little curious too as to what extent this event has taken the existing
industry. I have read that th e standards have "added unnecessary time to an
already laborious process."

I look forward, as always, to your comments.

Best regards,

Curt Bender

Curtis Bender
Tennant Company
curtis.ben...@tennantco.com <mailto:curtis.ben...@tennantco.com>
message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc
discussion list. Website: http://www.ieee-pses.org/

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas emcp...@ptcnh.net Mike Cantwell mcantw...@ieee.org

For policy questions, send mail to: