Our company sells ITE systems that are housed in commerial 19" racks. The
system is designed to be fault tolerant and redundant, so each rack has two AC
mains cords.

We do our own EMI certification testing (we're an accreditted lab), and our
typical EUT consists of two of these rack, so there are 4 AC Mains cords to
test, which we connect to 4 LISNs.

A modified version of this system is now in the works, where the dual AC mains
cords are replaced by multiple cords (with lower current per cord). The design
now would have 10 AC mains cords out of one rack, and 8 from the other. This
means the two rack EUT would have 18 AC Mains cords to test.

In a perfect world, where cost were no object, we would have 18 LISNs, since
this is the most efficient for testing -- set it up once, and test everything.

Our question is how to place a relatively large number of LISNs and satisfy
the standards' requirement of the 80cm spacing of the EUT and LISN.
Specifically:

1) Are we allowed to place LISNs around all sides of the EUT, maintaining the
80cm spacing (i.e. have LISNs at the front face of the EUT, and run the mains
cord from the back to the LISN)?

2) Are we allowed to stack LISNs on top of each other, as long as the LISN is
bonded to the ground plane?

Since we have to test each cord in turn, we could reduce the number of LISNs
by combining a number of the cords not currently being tested through a second
(or third) LISN. The downside of this is having to re-plug the cords after
each cord is tested, which requires shutting the system down and restarting,
which is a non-trivial task (and takes longer than it does to test one cord).

John D. Flavin
Teradata TCP Engineering
17095 Via del Campo
San Diego, CA 92127
john.fla...@teradata.com
V: (858) 485-3874
F: (213) 337-5432

message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc
discussion list. Website: http://www.ieee-pses.org/

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas emcp...@ptcnh.net Mike Cantwell mcantw...@ieee.org

For policy questions, send mail to: