        From: pat.law...@slpower.com <pat.law...@slpower.com>
        Subject: Re: Class A antenna distance
        To: emc-p...@ieee.org, emcp...@aol.com
        Date: Thursday, July 31, 2008, 12:29 PM

        Listmembers,

        The original poster wrote:
        > I have a question on the use of a 3 meter fully anechoic chamber.
        >
        > Can this 3 meter chamber be used to qualify a product for FCC or CISPR
        > class A, since the required test distance is 10 meter?

        I thought another clause in FCC Part 15 was important, too.  Clause
15.31(d)
says:
        (d) Field strength measurements shall be made, to the extent possible,
on an
open field site.  Test sites other than open field sites may be employed if
they are properly calibrated so that the measurement results correspond to
what would be obtained from an open field site.
        <snip remainder of clause>

        Is it practical to get corresponding measurements in a 3m semi-anechoic
chamber, let alone a fully-anechoic chamber?

        Pat Lawler
        EMC Engineer
        SL Power Electronics Corp.

        List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html