I am struggling with a claim that "German Law" does not allow "type AC" RCDs
(Residual Current Devices) in industrial machinery.

The 2005-06 edition (in German) is being cited.

If anyone has experience in this area I would welcome your insight.

I can not find a link between "German Law" or CE marking and VDE 0100-530 nor
its cousin IEC 60364-5-53.

I have an English copy of the IEC doc and see no restriction on type AC RCDs
but it does appear to be very different from the German VDE.

The claim is, in part, that VDE 0100-530 and IEC 60364-5-53 are not equivalent
(the VDE being stricter) but this seems to be contrary to the association of
the two at DKE
ref http://www.dke.din.de/cmd;jsessioni
=58E350673DC30AED0D45A327BF55FD4D.4?lev
l=tpl-art-detailansicht&artid=85316918&
ommitteeid=54738887&bcrumblevel=2&languageid=en

I suspect that VDE 0100 plays a role much like the NEC in the US, and that it
does not constrain industrial machinery (just as the NEC has section 670
pointing to NFPA 79 for industrial machinery). So even if VDE 0100-530 does
have the suggested prohibition of Type AC RCDs it is not clear that this
should apply to machinery.

Regards,
Lauren Crane (Mr.)
Product Regulatory Analyst
Corporate Product EHS Lead
Applied Materials Inc.
Austin, TX 512 272-6540 [#922 26540]

-External Use-
Save paper and trees!  Please consider the environment before printing this
discussion list. Website: http://www.ieee-pses.org/

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas emcp...@ptcnh.net Mike Cantwell mcantw...@ieee.org

For policy questions, send mail to: