Since the selection of specific vs. generic EMC standards has been addressed,
let me give a view point based on safety standards.

For safety, it is quite important to look at the scopes of individual
standards.  There may be no question for a product such as a laptop computer.
However, there are some products for which there may be confusion.

An example would be a commercial air conditioner.  Would such a product fall
under a product specific standard under the Low Voltage Directive or general
standards under the Machinery and Pressure Directives?  It may depend on the
design of the product.  At first glance, IEC 60335-2-40 would appear to only
cover household products.  However, the scope states "Appliances not intended
for normal household use but which nevertheless may be a source of danger to
the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops, in
light industry an don farms, are within the scope of this standard."  The
scope also covers three phase equipment rated up to 600 V.  A commercial spot
cooler, intended to be used in shops or factories where accessible to people
not trained in heating and cooling equipment would fall under this standard,
and hence the Low Voltage Directive. A chiller intended to be installed on a
roof or an equipment yard would not fall under IEC 60335-2-40.  Such a device
would need to meet the more generic requirements of the Machinery and Pressure
Equipment directives.

A specific example would be a computer room air conditioner, such as the type
made by Emerson Electric's Liebert division or Schneider Electric's American
Power Conversion division.  These products are intended for use in large
computer room.  However, they are used by the IT workers who normally handle
computers and networks.  The basic controls are designed for use by people not
trained in the details of heating and cooling.  As such, they would likely
fall under IEC 60335-2-40.

This will have some EMC impact.  I will continue to use the example above.  If
the product falls under IEC 60335-2-40 and the Low Voltage Directive, it may
then be subject to CISPR 14 for EMC.  Because these products are intended to
be used in a computer room, they may also be subject to CISPR 22 and CISPR 24.

My background is stronger in safety than EMC and I encourage the experts on
this list to give their opinion and correct me if I am wrong.  The views above
for both safety and EMC are just my interpretation.

Ted Eckert
The opinions expressed are my own and are not necessarily those of my employer.