Building a turntable isn't a complicated project, but it will take a bit of
mechanical work.

You shouldn't need a large motor, but the motor size will determine how fast
you can spin the turntable.  You do need something such as a gearbox to
connect the motor to the turntable.  The motor will turn too fast and have too
little torque to move a turntable.  The gearbox will convert the motor's
higher rotational speed to a lower turntable speed with more torque.  The
gearbox will also allow you to more easily reverse direction of the turntable.
 You don't need anything complicated.  In its most basic form, you only need a
single gear ratio and you don't need to change gears.  This will require a
reversible motor.  If you don't have a reversible motor, you will need a gear
box that reverses the direction of the turntable.

If you build a system with good quality bearings and if you limit the weight,
you could get away with a belt drive system.  If you want a turntable for
heavy duty use, you probably want gears for a direct drive system.  The
advantage of the belt drive is that it makes it easier to locate the motor
outside of the turntable's surface.  This will make motor maintenance easier.

I also recommend a motor starter controller in the system.  The motor starter
will limit the current surge when the motor starts up and will help the motor
last longer.

Make sure you get good bearings for the axle of the turntable.  Look for
sealed bearings that will operate maintenance free for a long time.  You may
be able to get by with simple rollers around the periphery to support the edge
of the turntable.

If the motor is located under the surface of the turntable, and if you don't
have access from below, plan to have an access panel in the turntable's
surface to allow maintenance to the motor.  This may require a manual device
in the gearbox to disengage the motor from the turntable so you can rotate the
hatch over the motor if the motor fails.  This may save some disassembly if
maintenance is required.

I am sure that list members with more mechanical experience can either add or
correct my recommendations.

Ted Eckert
The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my
employer.