From: lauren_cr...@amat.com [mailto:lauren_cr...@amat.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 6:32 PM
To: Kunde, Brian
Cc: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: RE: NFPA 79 Section 9.1.4.1

Brian,

Well, I agree with you in that I don't see 9.1.4.1 prohibiting what the
inspector claims it prohibits, but this may be a moot point.

If we are speaking of a true jurisdiction electrical inspector and not a third
party hired to assess the conformance of your design to NFPA 79, then it could
be you just gotta do what he says. Depending on the wording of the
jurisdiction's electrical legislation, the inspector may have full
discretionary authority for what designs are acceptable or not.

It could be, that if you had your design evaluated by a third party field
evaluator to NFPA 79 and they put their sticker on your device, then the
reluctant inspector might yield (it's no longer his *** on the line, its that
of the field evaluator).

If this inspector doesn't "get" that 9.1.4.1 is not intended for application
to power circuits, other arguments are likely to be non-value added.

Regards,
Lauren

The content of this message is Applied Materials Confidential.  If you are not
the intended recipient and have received this message in error, any use or
distribution is prohibited. Please notify me immediately by reply e-mail and

Save paper and trees!  Please consider the environment before printing this
e-mail.

"Kunde, Brian" <brian_ku...@lecotc.com>
Sent by: emc-p...@ieee.org

10/28/2008 08:45 AM

Lauren Crane/APPLIED MATERIALS@AMAT

cc

<emc-p...@ieee.org>

Subject

RE: NFPA 79 Section 9.1.4.1

Lauren,

When I read 9.1.4.1, I also think it is referring to the circuit driving the
coil of the relay and not the heater circuit. However, the inspector is
telling me this code is mandating that I cannot have a solid state relay in
the Neutral side of the heater element and I don’t see his interpretation.
So I was hoping that someone more familiar then I with NFPA 79 could help me
out.

BTW, the two thermal switches are the same kind used in cloth dryers to
control temperature. They are not intended to be redundant but have different
values and are located in different locations for better temp control.

I’m not good at drawing schematics from ascii characters so I’ll try to
better describe it. It is fairly simple.

115VAC Plug, power cord enters unit, then a double pole circuit
breaker/switch.  On the Line side, there is one side of an indicator light and
two thermal switched in series, then the heating element.

The Neutral side of the heating element connects to the other side of the
indicator light, then through the contact side of a solid state relay, then
back to the Mains circuit breaker/switch.

The coil side of the solid state relay is controlled by a small circuit board
running at 24 volts dc.  The low side of the coil goes directly to logic
ground.

Seems simple enough.  But the inspector is saying I cannot have components on
both the line side and the neutral side of the heating element.  When I ask
why not, he says because 9.1.4.1 says so.  I’m just trying to understand the
code and reason for it for the future.

Thanks for your time and help.

The Other Brian