In looking over some information for a customer, I came back to the IEC’s
IECEE section of their website.

“The fundamental principle of the CB Scheme is that a manufacturer can
obtain a CB Test Certificate for a defined product, from a national
certification body (NCB). The manufacturer can then present this certificate
to the NCBs in other member countries whose certification marks he wants for
his products.

The CB Scheme is based on the principle of mutual recognition by its members
of test certificates for the purpose of issuing third-party certification
marks at national level. The members of the scheme commit themselves to
recognize the CB Test Certificate issued by any Certification Body accepted by
the CMC to operate within the scheme.

An essential part of this is peer assessment. Experience shows that in
addition to promoting confidence among the members of the CB Scheme, Peer
Assessment, as a method to verify competence and build confidence is accepted
by authorities and clients of testing and certification bodies as having at
the least same value as accreditation.“
(http://www.iec.ch/conformity/ab_iecee.htm)

I thought that manufacturers testing using harmonized standards (when
available) was a correct route to demonstrating compliance to the EU
directives and that CE-marking was only mark needed.  Am I getting marking
confused with national and international levels?  And what would be an example
of a difference?

It also seems that the CB-scheme is promoting as an alternative to
accreditation?

Thoughts and comments?

Thanks!

Doug Kramer