In message
<0ed66cd2c9bd0a459d54fb9119a60567ca9...@mailserver.lecotc.com>, dated
Fri, 5 Dec 2008, "Kunde, Brian" <brian_ku...@lecotc.com> writes:

>We do not want to overburden your customer with private vs public
>distribution systems issues, so how common is it for a non-residential
>location such as a  business, shop, laboratory, factory, office
>building, etc. to be powered by a public vs private distribution
>system? In the US, most non-residential locations would have their own
>transformer but I'm told this is not the case in Europe.

Correct. In the context of the standards, a private supply is derived
>from the infrastructure through an MV/LV or HV/LV transformer. It
doesn't mean a privately-generated supply. I don't know that there is a
fixed power level at which a MV/LV or HV/LV transformer is preferred,
but it is certainly over 30 kW.

>We have some products that draw 40-50 amps at 230VAC that use high
>power heating elements that must use phase control to be able to keep
>the temperature in an oven within a very tight specification (high tech
>analytical equipment).  We have found no other practical way to control
>the temperatures and not shorten the life of the expensive heating
>elements, so we specify that such devices must be powered by a Private
>Distribution System or to seek the permission from your utility company.

Well, 10 kW sine-wave dimmers for theatrical lighting are now available,
but they are still somewhat (not vastly) more costly than phase-control.
However, I expect that where your products are used, the supply is
almost certainly private.

>What we struggle with here in R&D is are we causing a hassle for our
>European Customers?

You could be, if you don't implement the warning instructions that I
described. And the 'hassle' might not stop at your customers; your
company might be in trouble under certain circumstances.

>Our sales force seems to be able to sell them without any complains.  I
>wonder how closely such things are monitored in Europe.

It varies from country to country. Be very careful in the Hamburg area,
for example, where harmonic levels are generally very high and may be
closely monitored. There are also places in France where the same
applies.

>I assume as long as you are not blowing up transformers it will not get
>much notice.

Don't rely on that. While it's generally difficult to track down sources
of harmonics, it isn't difficult if the increase in level is seen to
occur during routine monitoring. It's then not too difficult to find out
what has recently been installed and connected to the network.
Either we are causing global warming, in which case we may be able to stop it,
or natural variation is causing it, and we probably can't stop it. You choose!

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@ptcnh.net>