________________________________

        From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Haynes,
Tim
(SELEX GALILEO, UK)
        Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 5:10 AM
        To: Luke Turnbull; emc-p...@ieee.org
        Subject: RE: Mobile Phones in EMC Labs

        Luke,

        Yes, because:
        The phone radiation might interfere during
            emission tests by
                entering the chamber via a penetration
                interfering with external support equipment
                create spurious emissions by creating secondary mixing products
            immunity tests by
                being amplified (in the amplifier) along with the wanted
immunity
signal
                causing failures in the support equipment that are laid against
the
item under test

        No, because
            business is more reliant than ever on mobile communications and a
ban
will cut your customers off from their business
            if your emc test lab is bothered by any of the items under "yes"
your
customers might suspect your EMC skills are not up to the mark
            you might not want your personal calls going through the company
switchboard

        Otherwise - it is your call...

        Regards
        Tim

I have had some success in controlling the test support environment by posting
a couple of signs declaring that "All personal electronics will likely be
vaporized!"

Seriously, I provide several wired telephones in my lab area, a wired Ethernet
link, and cell-phone operation is so bad inside our plant building that it
doesn't take much persuasion to shift customers to land-line use. I also have
a single 49 MHz portable phone (remember, they called them "cordless
phones"?). The 49 MHz signal is much less likely to find a leakage path or an
efficient radiator. I also find it amazing how many younger customers look at
this cordless phone in wonder, muttering about how big it is, and how they
never saw anything like that. And the darn thing doesn't even have a camera!

Ed Price
ed.pr...@cubic.com <blocked::mailto:ed.pr...@cubic.com>      WB6WSN
NARTE Certified EMC Engineer
Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab
Cubic Defense Applications
San Diego, CA  USA
858-505-2780
Military & Avionics EMC Is Our Specialty

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@ptcnh.net>

Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>
David Heald <dhe...@gmail.com>