>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Spherical Cow is a metaphor for highly simplified scientific models of
reality. The phrase comes from a joke about theoretical physicists:

Milk production at a dairy farm was low so the farmer wrote to the local
university, asking help from academia. A multidisciplinary team of professors
was assembled, headed by a theoretical physicist, and two weeks of intensive
on-site investigation took place. The scholars then returned to the
university, notebooks crammed with data, where the task of writing the report
was left to the team leader. Shortly thereafter the farmer received the
write-up, and opened it to read on the first line: "Consider a spherical cow.
. . ."

As with any mathematical joke, it is told in many variants.

From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Price, Edward
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 12:17 PM
To: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: RE: Cables On The Floor

I'll defer to your logic, as I was sick the day they explained

combinations and permutations to us. BTW, I'm almost afraid to ask, but

what's a "spherical cow"?

I think that might great to be able to authoritatively cite that in my

next lab status report!

Ed Price

ed.pr...@cubic.com     WB6WSN

NARTE Certified EMC Engineer

Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab

Cubic Defense Applications

San Diego, CA  USA

858-505-2780

Military & Avionics EMC Is Our Specialty

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@ptcnh.net>

LECO Corporation Notice: This communication may contain confidential
information intended for the named recipient(s) only. If you received this by
mistake, please destroy it and notify us of the error. Thank you.

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@ptcnh.net>

Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>
David Heald <dhe...@gmail.com>