In message <AFA9C97E2D25491B8AEEBBFE93556FC9@PC323541548743>, dated Thu,
18 Dec 2008, rn...@san.rr.com writes:

>But, no one provided me with a Thevenin equivalent
>circuit for the SMPS when looking up the ground
>wire.

I hoped to get some info from an SMPS designer, but it was not
successful. There was confusion between the actual source and the path
the disturbance takes to escape from the printed board and become an
emission.

>What is the circuit, and where is the generator?
>
>When looking up the ground wire, is the source a current source or a
>voltage source?  Please ignore the fact that the LISN is a 50-ohm load.
>Instead,
>please consider that the ground wire is open-
>circuited at the wall end.

I think the source must be the switching device, normally a FET. We can
regard it as a voltage generator in series with a resistor, but that can
also be regarded as a current generator in parallel with the same
resistor. The two ends of that circuit have *different* stray
capacitances to the PEC. If the capacitances were exactly equal, no
disturbance current would flow into the PEC. Fixed capacitors elsewhere
in the SMPS circuit, that may appear to be in parallel with the stray
capacitances, are actually largely isolated from them at disturbance
frequencies by fixed and stray inductances.

I suppose it's not difficult to measure the capacitances and the
disturbance voltages at their source (balanced input or differential
oscilloscope - must have high impedance input), but it may be more
difficult to determine the resistor value.
All these closing-downs have been caused by dozing clowns

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@ptcnh.net>