From: Brian Ceresney [mailto:bceres...@delta-q.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 1:54 PM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: CE-Standards method of Compliance for Battery Chargers

Previously posted on the IEEE/PSTC Forum Board:

CE-Standards Compliance for Battery Chargers

Season's Greetings to All,

Our company manufactures industrial battery chargers that are used for EVs,
various types of mobile work platforms, golf carts, and personnel movers. They
operate at universal ac input voltages, and charge batteries at output voltages
that range from 24V to 96V, depending upon the final application. They can be
"'built-in" to machines, or mounted to structures for "off-board use"( charged
by plugging the dc output into the machine).  We currently have third party
approvals to the US and Canadian standards for Industrial Battery chargers, and
EV Battery Chargers on these products as components, and stand alone products,
depending upon the output configuration.
We are in the process of being tested by a European CB Body to EN60335-2-29,
(referencing  EN60335-1)with the intent of using the report to self-declare and
CE mark the product for compliance with the LVD. Our CB Body informs us that we
are not entitled to a CB Report, solely because our output voltages exceed the
scope allowed by EN60335-2-29. They are only willing to provide a test and
evaluation report, which may be of questionable value to us later when we
intend to have further country specific approvals performed. Our CB Body has
offered no alternative route to this, and argue against any alternate approach
using the Standards Route.
Another CB Body has suggested that we declare the product to EN60335-1, using
EN60335-2-29 as a guide for specific testing and evaluation, issuing a CB
Report listing both standards, noting the exception in output voltages. I would
appreciate the opinions of the group as to whether this approach is valid by
the Standards Route to compliance, or whether it is only a loophole that
circumvents the intent of the European compliance process. Can you direct me to
the specific guidelines or legislation that contain chapter and verse about the
process?
Is our only alternative to use a Notified Body for declaration to the Essential
Requirements?
 Any comments you may have offering guidance are much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Brian Ceresney, CTech.
Test and Regulatory Lead,
Delta-Q Technologies Corp.
Unit 3 - 5250 Grimmer Street
Burnaby, BC  Canada  V5H 2H2
Tel: 604-327-8244 Ext.112
bceres...@delta-q.com

Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including any attachments, is for
message.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@ptcnh.net>

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html