From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of rn...@san.rr.com
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 4:10 PM
To: 'Brian O'Connell'; emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: ...free advice...

Hi Brian:

> 4. Even if I do not submit test data to an agency
> or test house, I NEVER send a sample to the safety or EMC
> labs without performing in-house tests that indicate
> conformity to all checked clauses that I checked in the
> applicable CBTR form - so I always know that there is a good
> margin.

This is EXTREMELY GOOD ADVICE!  If you want your
product to go through the certification process
without any hitches, follow this advice.

> 5. When a test house or safety agency rejects my
> data, or indicates a failed sample, I NEVER accept their
> requirements or test data at face value.

If you have tested your product and you KNOW
that it passes, then you can have a productive
argument with the test house about the failure.

> 6. I never accept a
> passing agency report at face value. I verify that all agency
> test data will support all applicable clauses in the safety
> std.

Well... here I disagree.  The certification
report is written for the cert house to prove
to itself that the product passes the tests
and complies with the standard.

It takes a lot of time and effort to read
the cert report and request changes.  Who
benefits from making those changes?

The only time when this is important is when
the cert report is used in the CB scheme,
where other cert houses will verify some of
the tests and construction.  If the other
cert house finds a problem, then the cert is
held up until it is resolved by you working
with the original cert house to get a
revised CB report.

Best regards,
Rich