Regards,

Ing. Gert Gremmen

I object….

>You don't HAVE to do any testing at all. What you have to do is decide

>what tests YOU need to do to be sure that your product meets the

>Essential Requirements of the Directive. You may well decide that you do

>need to apply EN 55022 and EN 55024 in respect of the data port.

While theoretically correct, that conclusion is too academic, and the 1st phrase

is suggestive. In a world where many malfunctions in equipment are caused by EMC

and a lot of serious accidents with "equipment" smell like EMC, we as experts
need not

to discourage manufacturers to seek real compliance. (Not even UK based experts
;<))

In my practice of emc-consultant I found much too much  examples of equipment

that carry the CE-mark but do not comply, sometimes without the need for me to

test. Only this week  I came over a set of power supplies in a

medical environment that emitted that much conducted interference that

nearby ECG-like equipment was disturbed by the CM voltage.

This is a power supply delivered with a piece of Medical equipment, often

used in conjunction with such equipment.

I suppose John, that this manufacturer read your 1st phrase only, and

then just purchased ce-labels. The situation is bad enough as it is,

and with (in Europe) with the new UHF band to be used for wireless

mobile internet, a whole new interference opportunity is created.

The EMCD in the previous version required compliance to a harmonized standard
only, and the manufacturer

only needed to be compliant (if cougth) to fullfil all requirements, the way he
achieved that

was irrelevant.

The EMCD in the latest version requires compliance to a harmonized standard AND
(written) proof of that compliance

to obtain presumption of compliance with the essential requirements to.  If
that proof is not obtained by testing, I cannot think of many

cases but the well known and obvious light bulb, where a test can be skipped
for physical reasons.

OR

Creating Presumption of compliance any other way, which in practice

comes down to creating a similar test suite to the generic standards set

with exceptions based on knowledge of the product and written argumentation

of that. In addition you need to consider if there is any EM phenomena

that you might have overlooked up to 400 GHz.

Of all new equipment brought to our lab 95-99 % is initially

NON-compliant. For US customers we test for that has been 100%.

Only recurring customers achieve better rates.

g.grem...@cetest.nl <mailto:g.grem...@cetest.nl>

ce-test, qualified testing bv

www.cetest.nl

Kiotoweg 363

3047 BG Rotterdam

T 31(0)104152426

F 31(0)104154953

 Before printing, think about the environment.

>I have an industrial product that has fallen under CISPR 11 but now has

>an Ethernet port.

>Do I need to test to both?  Looking at competitors documentations that

>is what they appear to be doing.

You don't HAVE to do any testing at all. What you have to do is decide

what tests YOU need to do to be sure that your product meets the

Essential Requirements of the Directive. You may well decide that you do

need to apply EN 55022 and EN 55024 in respect of the data port.

>My product also has many different field circuits.

>For CISPR 22 does each circuit group need a LISN or just the Ethernet

>port and the power supply when testing?

Again, you have to decide. It seems to me that you need to connect these

ports to auxiliary equipments or to suitable dummy loads. I'm not sure

that LISNs are appropriate for such circuits.

If at first you don't succeed, delegate.

But I support unbloated email http://www.asciiribbon.org/

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>

Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>
David Heald <dhe...@gmail.com>