In the past, infrared (IR) cameras were not accepted by NRTL's to be used in
lieu of direct contact methods (i.e., thermocouple, fiber optics, etc.) for
surface temperature testing (thermal analysis).  This was primarily due to the
inaccuracies of the IR technology and calibration difficulties.  However, IR
camera technology has improved considerably and there are units out there that
have accuracies well within the limits defined by CTL Decision DSH251B which
defines the limits to be: <100C, +/-2C; 100 to 500C, +/-3%; -35C to -50C +/-3C.

Thus, my question is, has anyone had any success recently utilizing IR cameras
for temperature testing as part of a NRTL evaluation?  I'm interested in both
positive & negative experiences.  Include the product type, standard used,
NRTL involved and any challenges experienced.

Regards,

Nick Momcilovic
Product Compliance Lead Engineer
GE Healthcare
Magnetic Resonance

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>

Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>
David Heald <dhe...@gmail.com>