John,

You said
"UNLESS Company A is outside the EU while Company B is inside it. In that
case, Company B bears joint responsibility."

I know there is some vairability among directives and regulations, but the
trend seems to be to assign full manufacturer responsibility to importers so
Company B has full responsibility.

In fact, I think Company B can only be a gray marketer or an AR, they cannot
"just" be a distributor if they are importing, because most legislation
equates importing with manufacturing and this would trump any concept of
distributor. So either way Company B gets all the pain and they can only pass
it on (i.e. share it)  to Company A via contract terms. As far as the
legislation goes, Company A does not exist because it is not incorporated in
the EU.

Have I missed something?

Regards,
Lauren Crane

Applied Materials
america - europe - asia
Corporate Product EHS
www.amat.com

lauren crane (mr.)
product regulatory analyst
(t) +1.512.272.6540
lauren_cr...@amat.com

The content of this message is Applied Materials Confidential.  If you are not
the intended recipient and have received this message in error, any use or
distribution is prohibited. Please notify me immediately by reply e-mail and

Save paper and trees!  Please consider the environment before printing this
e-mail.

John M Woodgate <j...@jmwa.demon.co.uk>
Sent by: emc-p...@ieee.org

04/27/2010 03:38 PM To
emc-p...@ieee.org
cc
Subject
Re: definition of manufacturer

In message <213049.95688...@web36202.mail.mud.yahoo.com>,
"gdstuyvenb...@yahoo.com" <gdstuyvenb...@yahoo.com> writes
>Suppose company A manufactures, assembles, tests and CE marks a product
>for available sale.  As a courtesy to customers, Company B makes the
>product available by giving it a company B part number for the customer
>to order as an accessory to it's main product line.  Company B does not
>"brand label" the accessory, but rather leaves all Company A markings
>intact.  Who is responsible for meeting the requirements of the EMCD,
>company A or B?

Company B is just acting as a distributor of a product declared
compliant by Company A. Of course, Company B might think it prudent to
verify the claim of compliance, but has no legal responsibility UNLESS
--
This is my travelling signature, adding no superfluous mass.
John M Woodgate

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>

Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>
David Heald <dhe...@gmail.com>