Had a mechanical engineer stop me in the hallway yesterday with an interesting
question about a 9 volt battery. He has an electronic safe that wouldn’t
open. It wouldn’t release the locking bar after the proper code was entered.
He went out and bought a famous brand of battery and replaced the old one. No
luck, called the manufacturer and they wouldn’t even talk to him until he
installed a second famous brand of battery. A battery being a battery he then
decided that the manufacturer was nuts and called a locksmith. He got the same
answer from the locksmith. He took has new famous batteries back to the store
and exchanged them for new second famous batteries. Put them in the
electronics and click – whirr the safe opens.

Batteries are rated for voltage and amp hours. Those were identical between
famous 1 and famous 2 but only famous 2 would supply enough power to drive the
motor on the locking rods. I think car batteries have an additional rating of
cranking amps is there something similar on 9 volt batteries? What’s the
root cause in performance difference – internal bulk capacitance? The
circuit logic would determine the max current flow out of the battery so the
battery type shouldn’t matter – right? Maybe the R of the logic and the C
of the battery changes the di/dt?

The whole list may not be as curious about this as I so probably just going
off line works best on the response.

Plus if I’ve missed the absolutely obvious pointing out my mental
inflexibility is less painless when not done in the open :-)

Gary McInturff

Reliability/Compliance Engineer

Advanced Input Systems

Esterline Corporation

600 West Wilbur Avenue

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho 83815

Tel: 208 635 8306

Fax 208 635 8706

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>

Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>
David Heald <dhe...@gmail.com>